Gear selector solenoid automatic

Discussion in 'Agila' started by Telboy53, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Telboy53

Telboy53

Hi all,
    My daughters 2009 automatic agila started having problems after parking the car. She tried to start it and the car wouldn't start. I went to her and tried rocking the car back and forth in park and then something clicked and we were able to start the car. It didn't happen too often at first so we all just ignored it. All vauxhall told us was that it needed a new gearbox at well over £1000 !
    Now the problem is more frequent but we found that if we press the small black button near the gear stick, it frees it up so we can put in in neutral. Then the car starts every time!
    I took it to a local garage and the boss there had seen a similar problem before and suspected the 'detent solenoid auto gear selector '. When he contacted Vauxhall for a new one, they said they don't make them any more!
    He did find one available for a Corsa, but wanted to check a bit more to see if it was compatible.
    Can anyone advise me if
    1) they've seen this problem before?
    2) how to fix it?
    3) any idea where I could get a new one or a compatible one for an Agila?

Many thanks

Telboy53, Aug 29, 2023
Ask a Question