Complete Electrical Shutdown

Discussion in 'Zafira' started by NeiljWells, Oct 13, 2023.

1. NeiljWells

NeiljWells

Wonder if anybody else was experienced this problem. Just bought a 16 Plate Zafira Tourer 1.9 Diesel. Had the vehicle only 3 days, no issues or problems, when I had to visit my garage to had over my old vehicle log book for a car that is to be scraped. Stopped the car, removed the key from the ignition switch, left it in the car with the wife on the drivers seat. When into the garage returned after about 10 minutes, placed key in ignition, turned key, nothing. No instrumentation lights, no interior lights, no radio, no click of starter motor nothing at all. Fortunately being at my garage they had a jump pack, car connected, started first time with all lights, windows etc. working. Check carried out on the charging system and battery by the garage, all OK. At present no further issues have occurred. My garage was reluctant to investigate further due to the warranty on the vehicle. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this type of problem and what the cause of the problem was. Many thanks Neil

NeiljWells, Oct 13, 2023
  2. NeiljWells

NeiljWells

Car failed again this morning on the drive way so had to get the AA out who resolved the problem. The initial issue was that a slightly lower height battery had been installed, this meant that the battery clamp was not working securing the battery in place. The moving battery had then caused the screws / bolts / nuts on the positive cable to the fuse rail to loosen off, lose their contact and that was what caused the problem. AA installed a rubber shim bottom the clamp and the battery, removed the positive cable, cleaned up all connection and re-installed the cable. Hopefully all resolved now. Neil

NeiljWells, Oct 14, 2023
Ask a Question